I have just finished reading a great book called ‘Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters’ written by Dr Meg Meeker. I’ve always known that dads are important, but this book through its practical research drives home just how essential a dad is in the life of a girl. It states:
* “Daughters who perceive their fathers care a lot about them, who feel connected to their fathers, have significantly fewer suicide attempts and fewer instances of body dissatisfaction, depression, low self-esteem, substance abuse and unhealthy weight.
* Girls with involved fathers are twice as likely to stay in school.
* A daughter’s self esteem is best predicted by her father’s physical affection.
* Girls with good fathers are less likely to flaunt themselves to seek male attention.
* Girls with involved fathers wait longer to initiate sex and have lower rates of teen pregnancy.
* 79 percent of teen girls said that fathers influenced their decisions on whether they should become sexually active.”
One thing Dr Meeker states strongly in her book is the direct link between pre-marital sex and depression. When you look at the above list you can’t help but wonder, do our girls need more anti-depressants and government programs OR rather a community of strong fathers and men who value and protect the daughters of our society? City Women needs great men!